Excuses are Fears Wrapped with Bows
It’s a crazy thing when one of the biggest things you do for your job is to create content, and you are stuck and can’t write a simple blog post for your own business. That’s what happened to me. I could tell you all my perfect “excuses dressed up as solid reasons” I could not write a simple blog post for my own company. What I couldn’t tell you was why I was in so much fear that it had put me into a complete writer’s block for the last ten months.
Yes, that’s right, I have not created hardly any content for my website or social media in the last ten months. In my head I told myself these blatant lies as to why:
- If I don’t work on my client’s work, I won’t have a client.
- If I don’t have things perfectly planned, don’t do it.
So, I did nothing, but those excuses after a bit turned into fears.
- Maybe, I don’t know as much as I should so I shouldn’t say anything.
- What if I am honest and people do not agree with me, and I lose business.
What if, what if, what if?
- What if I wrote and others stuck in fear could relate?
- What if as business owners we were authentic and human and not afraid to share their knowledge.
- What if as a business owner, I could stay in an abundant mindset and realize that I have everything I need to be successful?
If you have been in your business and afraid to uplevel, I suggest the steps I just took to get out of this rut, ones I tell my clients to do all the time, and it was time to remember and act on my advice.
- Write down what you want to do. – You don’t have to have every step written down at this stage, but start to write good old ink and paper all your ideas.
- Do one thing to start the day you write it out. – It can make a phone call to find out more information, do an outline of tasks, but do one thing toward making your goal a reality.
- Share your idea on social media, because the more you share it, the more you hold yourself accountable for it.
- Get the help you need to take your thoughts into reality. -Have an accountability partner, call them, in a Mastermind Group, voice what you are doing, have a coach, spill it.
- Write one thing daily to get yourself on task and do it. – No matter what, before your head hits the pillow at night, do your one thing toward moving the needle to your next step.
I actually, practiced what I preached this week, which was a swift kick in the reminder pants for me. In two days I’ve written a new marketing strategy for the new offerings I have been doing for the last year had an accountability call about my ideas and set the goal in my Mastermind group to draft one blog, by the end of the week. I’m back!
How do you get over it when you are stuck and not leveling up because you have a thousand fears masked as excuses?